Monday, April 13, 2009

I love the Spring Classics!

Ahh, spring.  Green grass, flowers, Easter, and of course, the awesome week that starts with the Tour of Flanders and ends with Paris-Roubaix.  These are the two manliest races on the calender, and even though I get Tour fever in July like everyone else, these are the races that really count.

While watching Roubaix, an old racing adage came to mind - "I'd rather be lucky than good." I'm not trying to take anything away from Boonen, but watching Hushovd crash into the barrier while following him had to take some of the pressure off.  That, along with Flecha attacking then almost immediately crashing in front of Hoste & Summeren (after Flecha sat in the break doing NO work, but I digress...) definitely helped Boonen roll into the velodrome like a god for the third time.  As a Specialized Bicycle retailer, this is the part where I'm supposed to tell you that the reason Tom was spared misfortune is that his bike flat outperformed those inferior Cervelos, Ridleys, Giants, and Canyons, but who are we kidding - Boonen won because he was the luckiest bad-ass in a break full of bad-asses.  A great bike helps, but as a friend of mine likes to say, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." 

I promise my next post won't completely revolve around pro bike racing - the classics are wrapping up soon after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment